Senior Character Artist
Location: Bucharest and Lancashire
Please state which location you are applying for in your application.
Here at Airship Images, we are always trying to push the quality bar! Therefore, as a Senior Character Artist at Airship Images you will play a major role in 3d Character Art production for various next generation AAA game titles from top studios around the globe. As a Senior Character Artist, you will demonstrate expert knowledge of high fidelity 3D character creation from concept to final in game assets whilst helping out with the mentorship of your colleagues.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about video games and be able to adapt and have fun in our fast-paced environment. You will possess strong problem-solving skills that allow you to work independently as well as collaboratively.
We’re looking for someone who is aligned with our core values and the following skills and experience.
- An excellent portfolio demonstrating a good range of styles, subject matter,3D modeling techniques, and general pipelines
- 3+ years of industry experience in a production environment as a character artist ( games, films, or vfx )
- Advanced, in-depth understanding of industry-standard 3D package; Maya, 3ds Max, or Blender for modeling, Substance Designer/Painter, and Photoshop for texturing.
- Demonstrate expert sculpting knowledge in zbrush
- Excellent texturing skills and good knowledge of PBR texturing workflow.
- Ability to realize characters from concepts and art briefs and communicate it through strong visual language
- Expert, in-depth knowledge of human & creature anatomy
- Cloth simulation and sculpting knowledge (Marvelous Designer)
- Outstanding understanding of topology and UV best practices
- Expert knowledge of hard surface modeling and best practices
- Willingness to learn new tools, and adopt new workflows to achieve the best quality by exploring the limits of any given tool
- In-depth knowledge of general 3d pipelines and workflows in-game art production and limitations
- Demonstrated ability and experience mentoring and/or managing other junior 3D artists
- Effective multitasking, prioritisation, organising skills and proactively solve problems and deliver on schedule
- Excellent visual and verbal communication skills.
Please note that these are not essential to apply for the position.
- Traditional drawing and sculpting experience
- Good Knowledge of game engines (Unity or Unreal Engine)
- Rigging skills
- Substance designer experience.
- Translate concept requirements of a given asset to 3d with precision
- Established character production workflows such as creating clean deformable topology, efficient UV mapping and baking, texturing, and cloth creation techniques
- Balance artistic aspects with technical constraints, working closely with technical artists to ensure exceptional execution
- Working closely with leads and art directors in planning and scheduling
- Create high-fidelity in-game characters (both realistic and stylized)
- Troubleshooting and assisting Juniors and mentoring
- Assisting art directors in creating and documenting pipelines and art bibles
- Collaborate with colleagues to maintain the highest quality throughout the life cycle of an asset on budget, time, and style.